Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008   #1
lekili

lekili is on a distinguished road
QS and ad serving options

I do a lot of ad testing but generally find ads with low CTR generate higher conversion rate and vice versa. Because of this, I have always left my campaigns to rotate ads more evenly under ad serving option. Since one of factors in QS is CTR, does this negatively effect me? I'm testing with on/off now but curious to hear what others say.
lekili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Re: QS and ad serving options

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekili View Post
I do a lot of ad testing but generally find ads with low CTR generate higher conversion rate and vice versa. Because of this, I have always left my campaigns to rotate ads more evenly under ad serving option. Since one of factors in QS is CTR, does this negatively effect me? I'm testing with on/off now but curious to hear what others say.
Once you turn the even serving option off the ad with highest CTR will get served more often. From what you say above this may not be what you want.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #3
lekili

lekili is on a distinguished road

thanks abbottsys, you are correct -- it isn't ideal for me. but i'm wondering if QS increases when you have ad serving set to optimize rather than rotate -- or if it has no impact on QS. i need to walk that line of profitable keywords and ads that also have good QS. if ad serving is set to optimize, ads with highest CTR will be displayed more often. if set to rotate more evenly, then by overall CTR may suffer and therefore hurt QS...at least, that's what i'm wondering?
lekili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #4
shaneekirk

shaneekirk is on a distinguished road

I don't think that it will hurt your QS that much (as long as your keywords and landing pages are relevant). I have never had an issue with quality scores and CTRs, and I have varying CTRs. Go with what gets you the most conversions, b/c that's going to help the client the most in the end.
shaneekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #5
googly girly geek
Adwords user

googly girly geek is on a distinguished road

We've seen examples of ad tests where we have increased CTR by a couple of percentage points.
This has in turn improved QS and reduced the CPC's - in some of our examples, this has happened very quickly which of course ultimately has reduced the CPA.

So when ad testing we always look at CTR as we know it can have a massive impact on QS.
Of course, we look at conversion rates and would never leave an ad running where conversion was stupidly low - but CTR is key to QS!
googly girly geek is offline   Reply With Quote