Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Technology & Relevancy
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
SEM Tools of the Experts

I asked a bunch of the best and brightest in our industry what five SEM tools they would use if limited to just them. The answers are good.

Let me know what you would use... try and give reasons
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: SEM Tools of the Experts

I'm with Amanda.

Excel: while somewhat old-school, it performs so many tasks with ease that it's still irreplaceable. I can create and upload new campaigns in minutes using Excel.

Google's keyword tool: KW Discovery, WordTracker, and others are good too, but I can get almost everything I need from Google's tool.

A good analytics program: Have used several (NetTracker, WebTrends, ClickTracks, Atlas, Google Analytics, proprietary stuff) and they all have pros and cons, but if you set any one of them up properly, the data you get is invaluable.

The search engines themselves: best research tool for what's actually going on, and to see what the engines are testing. I love what Google's doing with Local results right now, and you can't get a feel for that without going to Google and looking for yourself.

My own brain: There's no substitute for experience and gut feel. Tools can only do so much, and then a human has to interpret all that data and make decisions based on it.

Oh, and a sixth one: The great SEM community here at SEW and elsewhere on the web, as well as at conferences. It feels like we have a lot of super-smart experts all working toward the same goal.

Great post Frank, lots of good stuff!

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Thanks Mel
... thought it gave some insight and some suggestions
Old 04-20-2008   #4
an52

an52 is on a distinguished road

1. Google Analytics - great bang for (no) buck.
  2. IBP Business - handy all-purpose tool
  3. Firefox Developer Toolbar - analyse pages and too many features to mention
  4. SEOpen extension for Firefox - Highlight nofollows, rank toolbars
  5. YSlow/Firebug for Firefox - Identify slow elements of web pages
an52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #5
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by an52 View Post
  1. Google Analytics - great bang for (no) buck.
  2. IBP Business - handy all-purpose tool
  3. Firefox Developer Toolbar - analyse pages and too many features to mention
  4. SEOpen extension for Firefox - Highlight nofollows, rank toolbars
  5. YSlow/Firebug for Firefox - Identify slow elements of web pages
Seems GA is getting popular but offers no where near what the paid tools include.
Old 04-21-2008   #6
an52

an52 is on a distinguished road

Correction - I meant Searchstatus for nofollows, not SEOpen, which I also use for doing mass checks of backlinks/indexed.

Yes, GA is fine for its price, but G wants people to get the high-end version with the help of its analytics partners. At work we use Omniture.
an52 is offline   Reply With Quote