Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Social Media and Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008   #1
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough
SEOs of the World, Unite!

SEOs face a grave threat ... Worse than Cloverfield ... scarier than the prospect of MicroHoo. A threat so serious it could destroy the reputations of all SEOs globally. That's right I'm talking about ... ((He Who Should Not Be Named))
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #2
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough
WebDesignerComics.com

forget about his stupid comment on seo, does anyone find any of his comics remotely funny? no wonder he hides his name on the site and on his domain registration, i'd be embarrassed to attach my name to this rubbish site too.
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #3
dominatingseo
Defines My Objective

dominatingseo is on a distinguished road
Re: SEOs of the World, Unite!

I think s/he has got some extremely bad experience with SEO, so s/he is taking out frustration here.

Never mind, everyone has its own brain to think.
dominatingseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #4
ktwest

ktwest is on a distinguished road

Hi All. Please don't take my comic seriously as an attack on the profession of SEM/SEO. I am poking fun at all types of web designer and marketing types in this comic. If you read the comic you'll see that I make more fun of the clients than anyone else. I had to have an evil character so SEO Expert was a humorous choice.

If we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at?
ktwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #5
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

looks like a nice attempt at a viral marketing campaign to me and the person hiding his name, etc. is probably an SEO himself

EDIT: just saw the comment above mine lol
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #6
ktwest

ktwest is on a distinguished road

NewKidOnTheBlock: You are correct. I am an SEO by trade. I would love if the comic went viral, but I don't expect anyone outside of the industry to understand it or care.

As far as the "hiding name" issue. Don't you think it is a good idea to hide your personal details, phone, address etc on a domain name registrar? My name is KT West. It is printed on every comic. I have nothing to hide and I'm fairly proud of my comic. Up onto this point I have had overwhelmingly positive feedback about the comic.

If I seriously thought my silly web comic did damage to the industry I would take it down and delete it from my hard drive.
ktwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #7
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, I really didn't mean it in a negative way. If an SEO did make such a comic making fun of the industry and had great success with it, it'd be a bit on the shady side, but I'd still have to give him credit for his smarts, especially if he pulled it off in the field of SEO itself :-).

When I said hiding your name, etc. I just picked up what I had read before. I'd actually love to be able to hide my name and contact details for privacy reasons. However Im in Germany and the law says I have to do that - ON the website :-(.

However, I must admit that now that I think about it: On the one hand youd love to see it go viral, but on the other hand you'd delete it if you thought it could do damage to the industry. But if it really went viral, wouldn't it almost surely do some damage to the reputation of the SEO industry? (probably not if it only went viral in SEO circles, but then again it would easily spill to other webmastering fields, too, etc.)

I think you should do a comic on SEO clients - the type who tried keyword stuffing back in the day, had their site banned and then expects you to rank your site, but won't allow you to change any title tag for two months because he's too scared because of his bad experiences! and only one page's title tag per month after that! and let's start with pages that don't receive any traffic in the first place and stand little chance of ranking! and let's go for incredibly competitive keyword phrases with those pages!

EDIT: I can understand the fear of such clients, btw, but I think it's still ridiculous and would be funny for a comic :-). Try to use the negative press and attention you've gotten for the SEO expert comic and then leverage that attention to feed into our egos and ease our minds by making a funny comic about such an SEO client! I think that could stand a good chance of spreading :-)

Last edited by NewKidOnTheBlock : 02-08-2008 at 11:24 PM.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #8
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of

I actually just shared the page with my team today...funny stuff especially "Kent" who is one of our engineers.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote