Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Multilingual Search Markets & Non-US Engines
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008   #1
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough
Spanish Language - Google Translation

I chatted with Nacho Hernandez at SES Chicago and he said it's time to jump start Multilingual Search Markets forum.

Nacho said it's time for someone else to take over the reins, so to help great candidates come forward, let's see if we can get some discussion going on today's SEW blog post on Google Translation.

I defend the advances in MT (machine translation) -- even though it isn't perfect, as Google proved this week:
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/080124-102512

Last edited by Kevin Heisler : 01-24-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add SEW Blog link
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #2
danay
Cojelo Con TakeItEasy

danay is on a distinguished road
Re: Spanish Language - Google Translation

Interesting that this forum still hasn't taken off. I work with alot of search affiliates who work on Spanish and Portuguese PPC and SEM programs, so I know there is a ton of traffic and people who specialize in it. Why aren't they coming here?
danay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #3
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough

Great question, danay. I'm planning to attend a LatinVision conference in NYC in June to reach out to the business community. I've found personal invitations work best.

We need a moderator to start posting. All our posts in SEW Forums index well in Google. The questions and comments bring the members, viewers, lurkers and participants.

What else do you think might work?
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Heisler View Post
What else do you think might work?
Translating the new SES/SEW video that you already have on file might be one avenue worth exploring. In other words, let a translator listen to the original audio via headphones while translating aloud in real time and being recorded. Drop the original audio and replace it with the Spanish audio... Just my two cents!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #5
amabaie
The Happy Guy

amabaie is on a distinguished road

To start with, the rules in each language don't vary much, so this forum is dedicated to some pretty specific circumstances.

Secondly, it really is only a minority of us who work in multiple languages.

So there is a very small number of people who need to address only a very small number of issues...I would not expect this to be a high-activity board, just an extremely useful one in a pinch.
amabaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #6
GlobalFusion

GlobalFusion is on a distinguished road

Hi Kevin,

I am new to posting in this forum, but have been visiting it for years. Finally I decided to become a member because of my interest in this specific topic.

Some of us have been discussing and working on Multilingual SEO for a while. There is a growing trend in global search that makes companies and individuals more inclined to get immersed in this vertical. Multilingual sites are being launch all over on a daily basis. There are more and more people looking for multilingual blog platforms, multilingual-ready ecommerce sites or a simple manual of how-tos in their native languages. In fact, I’ve looked for a good multilingual plugin for blog for a while until a month ago found the perfect solution. So think multilingual bloggers to reach out too.

The problem I see is that this subject has not been discussed extensively and professionally like other topics in the SEO community. Spanish forums have not taken off either, IMHO, due to lack of quality content. In the past months I looked for high quality forums in Spanish, and sadly to say this, but did not find one that satisfied my expectations. Granted, there are forums all over discussing elemental concepts over and over. That can give you an idea of where SEO is in most of Spanish speaking countries. There are some exceptions to rule for sure.

If you want to have a discussion about Spanish SEO you have to reach out to folks from Spain, Latin American and the Hispanics in the US to come to your house. You can’t pretend to open your casa (home) and expect all Spanish speaking individuals to walk in with sombrero en mano (hat in hand). Same for other ethnic groups and languages.

Also, keep in mind that some SEOs, especially the ones living outside the US, do not have a good command of the English language. So, be ready to have bilingual/multilingual moderators that can answer the ABC’s in their native languages.

On top of that, there are some people who don’t want to expose their know-how in reputable forums like this one; because of fear someone else will take away the candy bar that is making them money. Or simply they are too embarrassed to acknowledge that they can still get away with spammy techniques, obsolete methods from 2000, or simply misleading information. This is no secret anymore. In fact, Dr. Garcia recently mentioned that after a year of his presentation in Spain:

Quote:
…nothing has changed. Many of the same crook SEOs exposed during the congress are still deceiving the public about what is LSI.
wordpress.com/2008/04/07/demystifying-lsi-video/

So there is plenty of work to do in this arena. I will be happy to become more active in this forum.

Kind regards,

Augusto Ellacuriaga

Last edited by beu : 05-16-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: no link drops please
GlobalFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #7
danay
Cojelo Con TakeItEasy

danay is on a distinguished road

Augusto, excellent post and one I agree with wholeheartedly.

The need for the content to be available in other languages (those being discussed here -i.e. Spanish-) are a perfect example of what we have been discussing in the Hispanic online market for years.

All of the search marketers I know who target the Spanish speaking markets write and read in Spanish. However, many read and write in English as well, but not all.
danay is offline   Reply With Quote