Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008   #1
undercoverseo
Working hard towards my SEM black belt!

undercoverseo is on a distinguished road
SEO Conferences...worth going?

There's quite a number of SEO forums, websites & blogs. I also read somewhere on SEOMoz that 90% of SEO knowledge has probably already been published collectively.

Given this, is it still worth going to an SEO conference? Just would like some thoughts on this as I was thinking about going to one eventually this year.
undercoverseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #2
Ron Jones
Columnist for SEM.edu

Ron Jones is on a distinguished road
Re: SEO Conferences...worth going?

Yes. I have found that I get more out of a conference if I go with a mission to learn something specific, like that 10% you can't find in forums, websites and blogs. Networking and talking to people face to face has been invaluable to me as well.
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #3
CTU

CTU is on a distinguished road

With all the information out there on blogs etc. I had wondered the same but I went to my first conference (SES Chicago) in December and was blown away by the speakers I heard and connections I made.

Could I have found the information online? Probably a fair amount of it but there is nothing that can replace hearing a presentation and the questions which follow. and somehow the contacts you make online are never quite the same as those you have a drink with... that's when the real gold of shared experience tends to come out.

I've just booked to attend SES New York in March and will try to get to maybe one other conference this year.

Bill.
CTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

In person networking at conferences is one of the things you definitely can't get online.... I have gone to plenty of the conferences as an attendee and as a panelist and I have still learned something either way... sometimes people will talk about things better than they do writing... and the contacts are great for continued support and help
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #5
undercoverseo
Working hard towards my SEM black belt!

undercoverseo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like it's time to book a trip to the nearest conference.
undercoverseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverseo View Post
Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like it's time to book a trip to the nearest conference.
Mate come to London and I buy the drinks
Old 01-16-2008   #7
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road

^^ sounds like a good offer
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #8
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem4u View Post
^^ sounds like a good offer
you are invited as well