Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2007   #1
Brook

Brook is on a distinguished road
How to rank well in Yahoo?

What are the best factor to get good rank in yahoo? Does Back link importance in yahoo is like google or on page optimization is still the best factor for yahoo.

Last edited by Marcia : 12-27-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #2
jhen

jhen is on a distinguished road
Re: How to rank well in yahoo?

Hi!

Yahoo is more on the on-page factors of a site but its best if you'll do a balance optimization (on-page and off-page) to rank in other search engines other than just one.
jhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #3
SEO Hammer
PRO

SEO Hammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Lots & lots of links. Yahoo is not that picky on links as far I have seen. Nevertheless, quality links are much rewarding in Yahoo than Google.
SEO Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #4
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Lots & lots of links. Yahoo is not that picky on links as far I have seen.
Lots of links, yes. But Yahoo is very, very picky about where those links come from. It easily susses out hinky link schemes and is very quick to pull the trigger and drop sites from its index.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #5
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

So yahoo does not lag behind Google when it comes to scrubbing out low quality links? I know that's what people used to say about a year ago, but has yahoo caught up with Google when it comes to telling quality links from crap links?

How about MSN, do they still lag behind about a decade or have they caught up, too?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #6
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

First, keep in mind that much of Y!'s current search is built upon the old Inktomi engine and that used link analysis long before Google existed; it's only gotten more sophisticated with time. The question might well be "Has Google caught up with Yahoo when it comes to telling quality links from crap links?" I'm really not so sure. Either way, the consequences of dodgy linking is usually much more readily apparent at Y!.

Second, it really isn't that hard to detect. Various forms and applications of network analysis are quite mature and have been used for many years to study and reveal relationships.

As for MSN, I'm not sure if the product is built out enough as yet to determine what the heck they're doing.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of the fact that Yahoo has a sensible balance between on-page and off-page ranking factors, I have to agree with Jim about linking being a significant factor in negative rankings (or lack of inclusion) in Yahoo. Of the sites I've looked at that had serious problems with Yahoo Search, the root cause was generally based on their linking practices.

The best and most sensible place to start when thinking about optimizing sites for Yahoo:

What is Search Engine Spam?

Yahoo Search Content Quality Guidelines

They're not kidding - they're dead serious, and it's worthwhile to become familiar with what they want and don't want and do whatever possible to avoid practices they might frown on.

Basically, for on-page Yahoo optimization, if you could optimize to rank well back in the old Inktomi days, the same basic factors will work now, with the addition of more sophistication and far more emphasis on link analysis.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #8
Rajat Garg
Rajat Garg

Rajat Garg is on a distinguished road
Re: How to rank well in Yahoo?

Marcia,

Can you tell me where I can find information on differences between Google/Yahoo SEs.

Thanks,
Rajat
Rajat Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #9
caily

caily is on a distinguished road
Re: How to rank well in Yahoo?

Yahoo give a lot of value to page content. So update your content and continues creation of unique and informative content will increase your rankings in yahoo. Remember that the main secret to yahoo success is human being. So make your site informative to searchers..
caily is offline   Reply With Quote