Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Searching Tips & Techniques
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2007   #1
EricEnge
Eric Enge

EricEnge is on a distinguished road
Most Common SEO Mistakes

I just posted over in the SEW Blog a column titled the 10 Most Common SEO Mistakes. You can see it here:

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/071116-103407

What are the most common SEO mistakes that you see?
EricEnge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #2
rpedersen

rpedersen is on a distinguished road
Re: Most Common SEO Mistakes

Like many other people I really appreciate these kinds of lists, short and to the point. Unfortunately this list doesn't really deliver anything that I can sink my teeth into. What I really need to get something out of the article are samples.

"Broken information architecture - These are sites that fail to map the nature of the information they are providing into an understandable hierarchy. Bad for users and search engines."

- Define Information Architecture
- Example of bad structure
- Explanation of why example of bad structure is bad
- Example of good structure
- Explanation of why example of good structure is good

If you can go back and do this for each bullet then I can really get something out of the article.

Thanks,
Ryan
rpedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Great post Eric!

#1 Broken information architecture - I'm always amazed at how many folks out there don't have a basic site map. This can be a real help for users / engines even when your information architecture is perfect.

#5 Bad redirects - Redirects also reek havoc on analytics making it look like a lot of traffic came from bookmarks.

Quote:
What are the most common SEO mistakes that you see?
I'd have to go with all Flash sites where the URL never changes or sites with Flash vars, (#anchors) in the url and/or sites with links in non-friendly javascript.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #4
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

I would add multiple domains. This becomes annoying when they don't volunteer information about the extra domains that they have. You could end up seeing everything "seemingly" OK and then find out, after you have done the work, that they actually had multiple domains pointing to the same site - that is, no proper redirects for all of the additional domains pointing to the same site.

Last edited by cryptblade : 11-27-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Made clarification in last sentence
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007   #5
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve

Having a great robots.txt file is a good idea, you mention this:

Duplicate content - It's unbelievable how much duplicate content that some sites create. It's a common killer, and it's a very big factor in poor page rank management.

What is a comprehensive way to avoid duplicate content penalties ??
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #6
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
I'd have to go with all Flash sites where the URL never changes or sites with Flash vars, (#anchors) in the url and/or sites with links in non-friendly javascript.
I agree whole-heartedly! SE cannot crawl Flash. Many sites use it because you can do cool things with them but horrible for SEO. Any idea how the new and popular Ajax form of coding is read and how they affect SEO? (i'm far from expert on it but i know its becoming a popular function)
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #7
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicECommerce View Post
Any idea how the new and popular Ajax form of coding is read and how they affect SEO? (i'm far from expert on it but i know its becoming a popular function)
Googlebot at least seems to be doing a pretty good job with AJAX properly made for search engines. Be sure to avoid #anchor fragments in AJAX URLs. For more on how to make AJAX friendly for search engines check out Google Webmaster Central.

"A Spiders View of Web 2.0"
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...of-web-20.html
beu is offline   Reply With Quote