Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2007   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Google Seeing Underscores As Spaces Now

Matt Cutts announced that Google now sees underscores as spaces at WordCamp 2007 over the weekend.

That helps all those people using CMS programs that default with the underscore.... anyone see a lift because of this?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #2
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Re: Google Seeing Underscores As Spaces Now

I've not seen any lift as of yet. Either way, GREAT find and thanks for the update Aussie!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #3
khalidh

khalidh is on a distinguished road

Finally, I am sure that took quite a bit of effort to implement. I wonder when they started that. I had noticed that some of the Google pages at conversion university used under scores long time ago.

Khalid
khalidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #4
ciaran

ciaran is on a distinguished road

It's obviously good news for all those who have been using underscores; I'll probably continue to recommend hyphens for aesthetic reasons - I find that they're more readable when displayed in emails, in print, etc... (ie in non-search marketing material).

Anyone else anal enough to have an aesthetic preference?!
ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
It's obviously good news for all those who have been using underscores; I'll probably continue to recommend hyphens for aesthetic reasons - I find that they're more readable when displayed in emails, in print, etc... (ie in non-search marketing material).

Anyone else anal enough to have an aesthetic preference?!
yeah I had our programmers write a script to change the underscores to dashes for our java cms!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6
ciaran

ciaran is on a distinguished road

Good work!
ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #7
khalidh

khalidh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
yeah I had our programmers write a script to change the underscores to dashes for our java cms!
ohhhh, java files with underscores or dashes...no die hard java programmers there?

The problem is that each programming language has its own standard of how a page should be named. Java apps for example do not use underscores or dashes in naming a file. Instead, we capitalize each new word. So,
no "first-page" or "first_page", instead we name "firstPage"

I do not know why Google did not acknowledge these standards exist in the first place and just code to understand them.

Khalid
khalidh is offline   Reply With Quote