IndustrySearchDay | In Social Media, Come Bearing Gifts

SearchDay | In Social Media, Come Bearing Gifts

Today's search engine marketing news and opinion: In Social Media, Come Bearing Gifts; Developing a Social Media Strategy 101; Bing Allows Search of Domains on a Single IP Address; and more.

Today’s Top Story:

SEW Expert - Liana Evans Liana
Evans
In Social Media, Come Bearing Gifts
More SEW EXPERTS: SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING SEW EXPERTS: SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
When you come storming into a community with only your marketing message, you’re no better than a party crasher. It’s imperative that you understand the community you’re dealing with, and come prepared to add value to the community.
» Full story » Print version

Search Engine Watch Experts Columns

SEW Expert - Ron Jones Ron
Jones
Developing a Social Media Strategy 101, Part 2
More SEW EXPERTS: SEM 101 SEW EXPERTS: SEM 101
Some people might want to dive into social media because of all the buzz and it seems like the right thing to do. But without a plan, you probably won’t get the results you seek.
SEW Expert - Joshua Palau Joshua
Palau
Observations from SES San Jose
More SEW EXPERTS: OUTSOURCED SEW EXPERTS: OUTSOURCED
The world of search is getting more mature and continues to have tremendous importance. Despite the economic downturn, people came out to share and learn more about how to advance their businesses through search.

News from the Search Engine Watch Blog

Bing Allows Search of Domains on a Single IP Address
Posted by Nathania Johnson Aug 17, 2009

Here’s a great tip via Google Blogoscoped (even though this tip has to do with Bing). Want to find out if any other domains are associated with your domain’s IP address? Bing allows you to find out. Use a site that looks up the IP address of a domain such as …
» Continue reading

6 Google Updates: AdSense, Street View, Reader and More

Got a case of the Mondays? Here are 6 Google updates to keep your mind curious through the 3pm slump. Google Maps has added Picasa photos to Street View. Google AdSense is conducting email interviews to get a better sense of what publishers want. Also, AdSense has launched a Category Filter beta for …
» Continue reading

Hunch Quickly Does Away With Spotlight Search in Favor of More Standard Results Page

Hunch has been around for a couple of months and is already doing away with their original search format. Instead of a menu popping up to help you search, now you just type and submit. Then, a list of results pop up. Hey that sounds familiar. To be fair, the results …
» Continue reading

A Chat with Michael Fischer of Coldwell Banker Real Estate
Posted by Greg Jarboe Aug 17, 2009

I have seen the future of YouTube, and it works! Last week, I had “A Chat with Michael Fischer” at the Social Media & Video Strategies Forum in San Jose. Fischer is the Senior Vice President of Marketing at Coldwell Banker Real Estate LLC. We talked about coldwellbanker’s Channel on …
» Continue reading

Google AdWords Releases New Search Ads Quality Guide, Display Ad Builder Templates

Google AdWords has released a couple of important updates that you’ll want to know about. First up, there’s a new Search Ads Quality Guide. This is an introductory guide for understanding Quality Score and how you can improve it. Secondly, the Display Ad Builder is getting new templates. They are a …
» Continue reading

Twitter to Officially Adopt ReTweeting (And You Might Not Like It)

Twitter is planning on making the act of ReTweeting an official Twitter feature. Right now, it’s just some crazy phenomenon started by users. It wasn’t all that far-fetched, really. People have been using @username to respond to comments on blogs for years. However, Twitter plans to post those ReTweets in a …
» Continue reading

Bing Shopping Doing Very Well Since Launch

New Hitwise data is showing Bing Shopping’s market share growing by 169% over 2 months. The first week of Bing’s launch, Shopping debuted at 4.04%. Last week, Bing Shopping came in at 10.86% in the comparison shopping niche. That’s an awesome rise that anyone would like to see in their …
» Continue reading

Search Engine Watch Forum Discussions

AdWords – There’s Money in Mouseovers Aug 14, 2009
I’ve been playing with AdWords Display Ads, and getting good results. But I notice something very interesting. My Mouseover Rate is 10X or 20X my CTR. Bottom line: If AdWords Display Ads supported clickable mouseover actions Google would make a ton more revenue, and advertisers would get way higher CTRs. A …
» Join the discussion
Anyone Seen An Increase From Bing? Aug 12, 2009
Not sure what to attribute it to, but I’ve noticed stronger-than-expected sales from Bing/MSN over the last couple weeks. Still coming in a distant third to Google and Yahoo, but my conversion rate was just under 5% for last week on Bing. Anyone else noticing a new spark in their …
» Join the discussion
Search Stats for Google Alerts Aug 12, 2009
Perhaps this data exists, but if not would it not be great if: We had a report for keyword queries Google Alerts users have set up in their alert/reader accounts? This way we could target PR and Web pages to these users. Yes, search query reports provide insight, but Google certainly has the …
» Join the discussion
Google Caffeine: What have you seen? Aug 11, 2009
I am noticing differences in how I show up in search results between the old google and the new test version. So far the only thing I have been able to find is that they are using my ecommerce history as a factor. ie: products with sales show up higher. …
» Join the discussion

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing