IndustryHot Topics, Odd Stories at SES San Francisco and ClickZ Connected Marketing Week

Hot Topics, Odd Stories at SES San Francisco and ClickZ Connected Marketing Week

SES San Francisco gets underway two weeks from today on August 17 and ClickZ’s Connected Marketing Week starts the day before on August 16. So, if you are a local TV producer, newspaper editor, or business blogger, then you are starting to plan which speakers and sessions you might want to cover at The Moscone Center.

But inside news companies, everyone is struggling to do more with less.

So, here’s a cheat sheet of the hot topics and odd stories that I plan to cover for Search Engine Watch and SESConferenceExpo’s channel on YouTube.

Yes, yes, I will make some last-minute adjustments. As Helmuth von Moltke the Elder once said, “No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.”

On Monday, Aug. 16, I plan to cover ClickZ BlogworkZ. I know it’s sold out, but I was one of the people who registered in time to attend this new event.

The fact that BlogworkZ is sold out underscores the fact that blogs are still a hot topic. Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube will be covered later in the week, but it’s worth covering some or all of this half-day forum, which features three discussion-style panels.

Community manager. Content strategist. Social media director. The role of blogger continues to morph due to emerging technologies and changes in the ways that people communicate with friends, colleagues, and others in the new connected communities.

On Tuesday, Aug. 17, I’m going to cover the Morning Keynote by Jeffrey W. Hayzlett. The “celebrity CMO” is a best selling author and former Chief Marketing Officer and Vice President of the Eastman Kodak Company. He is also cowboy — literally: A South Dakota native who always wears cowboy boots and still has a little house on the prairie.

Then, all hell breaks lose. There are four tracks of sessions and a new SEW Labs at SES San Francisco. Plus, there is a B2B and a B2C Social Media track at the Online Marketing Summit (OMS) is hold a one-day forum.

Decisions, decisions.

I’m sending one of my video crews to cover some of the Theater Presentations in the Expo Hall Theater.

At 11:00 a.m., Jon Mette, the Senior Strategist of Search Optimization and Strategy at Yahoo!, will be talk about what’s new with Yahoo! Search Marketing. Aren’t you just a little bit curious to hear what he has to say?

At 12:30 p.m., Alexandra Kenin, the Product Marketing Manager at Google, will walk the audience through an overview of the changing search landscape and explore changes in search behavior that led Google to develop the Opportunities tab. To close out the session, he will demo the newly launched and Analyze Competition feature, which allows advertisers for the first time to compare their AdWords performance to that of advertisers in similar keyword categories. Admit it. Your viewers, readers and visitors have an insatiable appetite for all things Google.

At 1:00 p.m., Rathna Sharad, the Group Product Planner at Microsoft, will talk about Bing’s new features and advertising opportunities. So, in just a couple of hours of sitting through Theater Presentations, you can cobble together a story about the big three search engines.

On Wednesday, Aug. 18, you’ll be faced with lots and lots of options.

At 9:30 a.m., I’m sending one of my video crews to cover the Morning Keynote at SES San Francisco by BJ Fogg, the Director of Persuasive Technology Lab at Stanford University. He is the author of Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do, a book that explains how computers can motivate and influence people. Drawing on these insights, his students created some Facebook Apps that motivated over 16 million user installations in 10 weeks.

And at the same hour, I’m sending my other video crew to cover Analyzing the Analysts session at the IAB One-Day Forum on the Future of Display: Ad Networks and Exchanges. Is Google’s future success tied less to search and more to display — to the Google Content Network and the DoubleClick Exchange? Will Yahoo! be successful at making its Right Media exchange more “premium”? The leading Internet sector banking analysts will be on the hot seat to tell us what they see in their crystal balls.

At 11:00 a.m., I’ll be covering the News Search Optimization session myself. The speakers include: Brent Payne, SEO Director, Tribune; Allison Fabella, SEO & Social Media Manager, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution; Topher Kohan, SEO Manager, CNN; and Eleanor Hong, Lead Editor, SEO, ABCNews.com.

At 1 p.m., I’ll be speaking at the Video Labs Primer. Okay, I’m biased. But check out the article entitled, SES San Francisco’s New Video Lab To Bring A Site Clinic Approach To Video, that Jeremy Scott just posted to ReelSEO. He says, “In the primer, look for Greg to offer some new statistical data from the comScore Video Metrix 2.0, which examined unique video viewers, viewing sessions, minutes per viewer, and more. The new data presented will provide insight on how people discover, watch, and share videos across the web.”

At 3:45 p.m., I’ll be covering Google’s Sponsored Session, Ad Innovations @ SES SF. Devin Sandoz, the Product Marketing Manager for Google AdWords will talk about Google’s latest innovations in ad formats, tools and reports. He’ll also discuss how advertisers are using them to improve their results. If you’re on the fence about covering this session, visit Google Ad Innovations for a sneak preview.

And at 5:00 p.m., I’ll be covering Bing’s Sponsored Session, Get Discovered on Bing (too). Rathna Sharad, the Group Product Planner at Bing, will talk about the Microsoft and Yahoo! Search Alliance. He’ll also share tips on how to be successful advertising in the new combined marketplace — which should enable advertisers to reach up to 158 million potential customers and 30 percent of searchers in the U.S., according to comScore. He’ll also discuss Bing Webmaster Tools.

On Thursday, Aug. 19, you can cover more hot topics at SES San Francisco.

For example, at 9:30 a.m., the Morning Keynote will be given by Tim Ash, CEO of SiteTuners.com. He is the author of the bestselling book Landing Page Optimization. And as I learned a couple of years ago, he’s also a pretty good salsa dancer.

Optimizing Landing Pages — Tim Ash’s Tips and… Footwork

Or at the same hour, you can find hot topics and odd stories at the 140 Character Conference.

Check out the schedule.

At 10:05 a.m., Leor Stern (@leorstern), New Business Development, Google, and Othman Laraki (@othman), Director, twitter; Responsible for Geo and Search, will discuss The Future of Location Based Services in the Real-time Web.

At 10:45 a.m., Jeff Fowle (@JeffFowle), Owner-Operator / President, KK Bar Ranch & AgChat Foundation, and Ray Prock Jr. (@RayLinDairy), will discuss Farming, Cattle Ranching and the real-time web.

At 10:55 a.m., Dean McBeth (@evilspinmeister), Community Manager | Digital Strategist + W+K (on Old Spice), will discuss The Command Center behind the Fighter Pilots – How Old Spice went viral.

At 12:25 p.m., Maegan Carberry (@maegancarberry), Political News Analyst on Variety’s @WilshWash, FOX Biz News & HuffPost, will discuss the Real-time Web + Politics.

At 2:00 p.m., Beth Blecherman (@techmama), Founder, TechMamas.com, Eiiane Fiolet (@ubergizmo), Elisa Camahort (@ElisaC), Kristie Wells (@kristiewells), Social Media + Community Advocate, and Liza Sperling (@lizasperling) will participate in a session entitled, Women talking Tech about the Real-Time Web.

At 3:00 p.m., Corentin Villemeur (@corentin), General Manager of Thisis50 and Manager of New Media, G-Unit Records, and Rachel Masters (@redmagnetmedia), Co-Founder & Partner, will participate in a session entitled, Music Panel: Real-Time Hip Hop.

At 3:20 p.m., Felice Gorordo (@fgorordo), Co-Founder & Chairman, Roots of Hope, Inc., will discuss How I helped organize a peace concert in Cuba that brought together 1.2 million people.

At 3:30 p.m., Del Harvey (@delbius), Lead Twitter’s Trust and Safety team, Robin Sloan (@robinsloan), Writer and media inventor, Sean Garrett (@SG), Twitter, “Communications Guy”, and Shiva Rajaraman (@shivar), twitter Product Manager will participate in a session entitled, Meet twitter.

At 3:50 p.m., Mia Dand (@MiaD), Social Media Manager, Hewlett-Packard, will discuss
B2B Marketing in the Real-Time Web.

At 4:10 p.m., Chris Houchens (@shotgunconcepts), Author, and Pamela Slim (@pamslim), Author, will participate in a session unambiguously entitled, Book Author’s Panel.

At 4:25 p.m., Johnny Diggz (@JohnnyDiggz), Co-Founder, Voxeo Labs, will participate in a session intriguingly entitled, Demonstration of interactivity and collective consciousness.

And at 4:50 p.m., Brad Alesi (@bradalesi), Digital Strategist, The Marketing Arm, and Larry Weintraub (@lardog2000), CEO, Fanscape, will participate in a session ambitiously entitled, 20/20. 20 Great Ideas, 20 Seconds Each.

Oh, there are 18 other sessions. But these are the dozen that I plan to cover.

On Friday, Aug. 20, the temptation will be to call it a week early. But then you’d miss the ClickZ International Marketing Forum.

Businesses looking to enter new global markets must develop marketing strategies that take into account unique regional needs. This one-day forum will examine the latest marketing strategies, including social media, mobile, and search marketing, for global markets with a special emphasis on the Asia-Pacific and Latin America.

And the pièce de résistance is the Keynote: “An Audience With… Avinash Kaushik.”

Kaushik will take to the stage for an open Q&A forum. Driven by audience questions, he will share his global experience in analyzing data on an international level and discuss all aspects cultural, technical and beyond. It’s completely open and all of the experts featured during the day will also be available in the audience to chime in.

Bryan Eisenberg and Avinash Kaushik at SES London 2010.jpg
Bryan Eisenberg and Avinash Kaushik at SES London 2010

Now you can call it a week. Heck, those are enough hot topics and odd stories for a month.

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing

The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook