LocalYelp’s New Wordmap Helps You Avoid Hipsters

Yelp's New Wordmap Helps You Avoid Hipsters

Users can search cities by keyword so they can discover (or avoid) certain areas they live in or would like to visit. This heatmap extracts keyword density of Yelp reviews all over a city, and the patterns in the maps are pretty entertaining.

Yelp announced a new feature called “Wordmap” that allows users to search cities by keyword so they can discover (or avoid) certain areas they live in or would like to visit. This heatmap works by extracting keyword density of Yelp reviews all over a city, and the patterns in the maps are pretty entertaining, at the very least.

Yelp, first, I want to thank you for allowing me to identify the hipster areas of cities I visit ahead of time. I can’t tell you how much trouble that’s going to save me. I checked the validity of the information against L.A.’s hipster mecca, and yep, it’s accurate:

yelp-hipster-la

You can also cross-reference the hipster area with the “PBR” search, just to verify where the largest concentration of hipsters will be at any given time in the neighborhood:

yelp-pbr-la

And here’s yet another area I can avoid, thanks to Yelp:

yelp-frat-la

While I’m not usually looking for a hangover, it’s good to know that if I want one, I can find fellow binge drinkers in the following areas in L.A.:

yelp-hangover-la

Yelp even caters to bacon lovers:

yelp-bacon-la

All in all, the new Yelp Wordmap is a really useful tool for identifying the areas of a city I want to stay away from, and some I’d like to see more of.

What do you think about Wordmap?

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing