IndustryHitwise Search Engine Ratings: May 2005

Hitwise Search Engine Ratings: May 2005

May 2005 Hitwise ratings for search engines, showing which search engines are most popular, based on visits.

Hitwise uses a combination of anonymous web surfing data provided by ISPs in various countries and its own panel-based measurements to determine which sites are most popular on the web. The data encompasses the surfing activities of 25 million people, worldwide.

Share Of Visits: Search Sites, May 2005

The chart below shows the share of all visits made to both search and directory sites, as classified by Hitwise, by US web surfers during May 2005. “Domain” shows the core domain of the service involved.

Rank Name Domain

1 Google www.google.com

38.3%

2 Yahoo search.yahoo.com

18.4%

3 MSN Search search.msn.com

15.6%

4 Google Images images.google.com

4.5%

5 Ask Jeeves www.askjeeves.com

2.4%

6 Yahoo Images images.search.yahoo.com

1.6%

7 My Web Search www.mywebsearch.com

1.1%

8 Dogpile www.dogpile.com

0.8%

9 My Search www.mysearch.com

0.7%

10 AOL Search www.aolsearch.com

0.6%

Understanding Share Of Visits

Hitwise measures all visits to sites that it classifies as being search engines or portals. It then tells you what percentage of those total visits a particular web site received.

To understand more, here’s a simplified example. Imagine there are only three web surfers being measured in a particular month. They make the following visits to sites considered to be search engines or portals:

• Surfer A: 9 Google visits, 5 to Yahoo, 3 to MSN: 17 total visits
  • Surfer B: 5 Google visits, 6 to Yahoo, 8 to MSN: 19 total visits
  • Surfer C: 8 Google visits, 9 to Yahoo, 7 to MSN: 24 total visits

Add up all the visits, and you get 60 in total. Then add up the visits that each search engine or portal receives, divide that by the total visits for the category, and you know that site’s share of total search and portal visits:

• Google: 22 visits / 60 total visits = 37% share
  • Yahoo: 20 visits / 60 total visits = 33% share
  • MSN: 18 visits / 60 total visits = 30% share

Share Of Visits: Portal Front Pages, May 2005

The chart below shows which portal sites, as classified by Hitwise, have the greatest percentage of visits to their home pages by US web surfers. Portals obviously offer more than search. A visit to Yahoo’s home page may be someone checking news headlines, a stock portfolio or email. However, portals with high home page usage are likely to also generate searches from those pages.

Rank Name Domain

1 Yahoo www.yahoo.com

58.7%

2 MSN www.msn.com

23.2%

3 My Yahoo my.yahoo.com

7.2%

4 Excite www.excite.com

1.8%

5 iWon www.iwon.com

1.2%

6 Dell My Way dell.myway.com

1.0%

7 Univision www.univision.com

0.6%

8 My MSN my.msn.com

0.6%

9 Netscape www.netscape.com

0.5%

10 DellNet by MSN dellnet.msn.com

0.3%

More Resources

Hitwise Search Term Data
The same information Hitwise mines to understand web site popularity also lets it compile its own database of the search terms people perform on particular search engines, or to reach web sites in certain industries or just the terms used to find a single web site. Visit the page above to see examples of this.

Past Hitwise Search Engine Ratings
This page shows past search engine ratings from Media Metrix that were featured on Search Engine Watch since September 2003. Only available to Search Engine Watch members. Click here to learn more about becoming a member.

Search Engine Ratings & Reviews
See this page for other Search Engine Watch pages that provide figures on search engine popularity in the United States and around the world.

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing

The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook