IndustryTop ten stories from SES Chicago 2008 for Day 3

Top ten stories from SES Chicago 2008 for Day 3

Today’s list of top ten stories from SES Chicago 2008 is just a small sample of all the news and commentary that’s coming out of Day 3 of the conference and expo. I’m sure that you will see more coverage rolling out over the next week.

But for those of you who couldn’t attend because your travel budget was cut because of the recession, here’s a quick summary of the search engine marketing tips and SEO tools that – ironically – could help your company weather the downturn in the economy better than your competitors:

The Rich Are Different Than…
Anna Maria Virzi of ClickZ writes, “An examination into the online behavior of the most affluent or ‘upper crust’ people was an eye-opener for Bill Tancer, Hitwise general manager. He shared this following anecdote during the SES Chicago keynote on Tuesday to make the point that online marketers have access to information that can inform marketing strategies.”

Bill Tancer on Search Patterns in 2008
I interviewed Bill Tancer, the General Manager of Hitwise and author of the best-selling book, “Click: What Millions of People are Doing Online and Why it Matters,” following his morning keynote presentation. I asked Bill to elaborate on some of the search engine user behavior he saw in 2008 and forecast what patterns we might see in 2009.

SEM Tips For Small Businesses
Mike Sachoff of WebProNews covered the the “SEM Small Business Blitz” session the speakers focused on how to use social media in an affordable and practical way.

Lawrence Lessig on Copyright Laws
Stanford Law School Professor Lawrence Lessig, who gave the opening keynote at SES Chicago 2008 on Monday, talks about the problems and shortcomings of current copyright laws and discusses solutions on how to revise copyright laws to end the war on prohibition and build on a new hybrid economy.

I Drool, You Drool, We all Drool for New Tools
Manny Rivas of the AimClear Blog writes, “Take time to research the overwhelmingly huge list of SEO tools out there, and you’ll quickly see there are hundreds (if not thousands), all sorting the very same data. Some cost arms, legs and sometimes skin off the back, but many are appendage-friendly (free). This SES Chicago session, succinctly titled ‘SEO Tools,’ was moderated by Sage Lewis, Search Engine Watch Expert & President of SageRock.com.”

Live Blogging Day 3 at SES Chicago
Jeff Woelker of Written By All Of Us, a Slack Barshinger Blog, was back at it for day 3 at SES Chicago. He writes, “Hope you’ve been enjoying the last two days.”

Leveraging Blogs and Feeds for SEO
Manoj Jasra of Web Analytics World writes, “SES Chicago 2008, is happening this week and features a session on the topic of ‘SEO Through Blogging and Feeds.’ Lee Odden, CEO of TopRankMarketing.com, is an expert on this topic and is a panelist at this session at SES Chicago. I had a chance to catch up with Lee, to get his insight on SEO through blogging and feeds.”

Interview with Amanda Watlington on Podcast & Audio Search Optimization
Shana Albert of Social Desire writes, “Right now SES Chicago is going on….. the only major Search Marketing Conference and Expo in the Midwest. I had the good fortune of being able to interview Amanda Watlington of Searching for Profit…. She was on the panel of the Podcast & Audio Search Optimization session. Here is my interview with Amanda.”

Sally Falkow at SES Chicago 2008 with Matthew Bailey
Sally Falkow of ExpansionPlus interviewed Matthew Bailey of SiteLogic about social media measurement, content strategy, and search engine optimization (SEO) at the 2008 Search Engine Strategies Conference and Expo in Chicago (SESChicago08).

A Special Message to the Ladies Attending SES Chicago: Woman to Woman
Nathania Johnson of Search Engine Watch has this observation about women at SES Chicago: “I see you at the keynotes. I see you at the sessions. I see you in the expo hall during the day. But at night, when I go to the networking cocktails, it’s a testosterone festival.”

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing

The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook