SEOThe Unlikely Heroes of Search and Social Media

The Unlikely Heroes of Search and Social Media

Line up the unusual suspects.

When Terrence Kelleman made a video about his Magic Magnetic bracelet, he had no idea that YouTube would feature the video for 10 days. He had no idea that it would garner over 2.7 million views.

It’s not Scorcese-esque. It simply features one of Kelleman’s products. But his products are amazing, so he didn’t need a fancy ad firm to come up with something deceptively clever.

Do you think a video seen by almost 3 million people had some SEO value? Abso-freakin-lutely. Is Terrence Kelleman an SEO? Nope.

Neither is Mari Luangrath. She’s the owner of Foiled Cupcakes based out of Chicago. As I was on my way to JFK airport last Thursday, I noticed people raving about her on Twitter.

Screen shot 2010-03-29 at 2.32.05 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-29 at 2.09.06 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-29 at 2.08.51 AM.png

Did you see that last one? “Just did stuff on the web” – that’s the mark of the unsung marketing hero.

That’s what entry-to-mid-level search engine marketers are doing all across the country. They don’t always have the time or money to go to Search Engine Strategies or PubCon. They don’t have popular search blogs that get quoted all the time. But they’re out there getting links, winning customers, and generating sales.

You should pay attention to them. They’re in the trenches doing the dirty work. They really know what’s up with the SERPs. And they didn’t have to have a super-exclusive chat with Matt Cutts (which may or may not be accurate in the attempt to protect the Google brand).

By the way, it took me awhile to find those Tweets about Foiled Cupcakes. Because when Luangrath left New York to fly back to Chicago, her flight got delayed. She turned that lemon into a contest for her company: whoever had the worst travel story gets cupcakes delivered to their office.

Pages and pages of Tweets returned sharing travel horror stories. I’m sure Luangrath was “just doing stuff on the web” but it worked.

What are you doing on the Web?

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing