SEOStarting a New Link Campaign

Starting a New Link Campaign

So you are starting up a new link campaign, and you want to know where to begin. I always fall back on the same approach. There are two basic questions you need to be able to answer:

1. What unique content do you have on your site that someone might want to link to?
  2. Who are the people that might link to you?

It turns out that the two questions interact. Based on the people in your space, or related space, you might change the content you develop. That said, here are the five things I think about when I first start a new link building campaign:

1. I always start by identifying who the major media people are in the space of our clients. I do this without yet worrying about their potential to link to us. This would be a complete list of traditional media, bloggers, government, school, and hobbyist sites that are related to our client.
  2. The next step is to prioritize the list ranging from top tier players to lower tier players. I will take links from any of them, but getting a link from a top tier player is worth more effort.
  3. Now I re-examine the current and potential content of our client’s site to see how it matches up with the needs and interests of the top tier targets.
  4. If it’s necessary (and it usually is), I put in place a content development plan to implement the right types of content to match up with the best targets. Several new articles may need to be written. There is no need to go off the deep end here. If there are 5 or 6 really great high value targets, develop new content for the 2 or 3 easiest ones to approach.
  5. Once this is in place, you can begin the process of contacting your targets, and getting them interested in the unique cool content that you have.

Good link building always starts in the same place. Identify the targets.

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index
whitepaper | Analytics

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing
whitepaper | Analytics

Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook
whitepaper | Digital Marketing

The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook