IndustryGoogle’s Help Center Page About Censorship Back Online With New Text

Google's Help Center Page About Censorship Back Online With New Text

Last week I blogged that the Google Help Center page dealing with censorship was unavailable when I went looking for it after reading this post on Google Blogoscoped. Then, GB picked up on my post with additional info and commentary.

As of this moment (3pm) the Google Help Center page titled, “Does Google censor search results?” is back online with new text that says Google’s policy is not to censor but it some cases due to, “local laws, regulations, or policies” they may censor. The text also points out that when results are removed a notice is displayed (exceptions might exist, based on date).

The full text of the page now reads:

It is Google’s policy not to censor search results. However, in response to local laws, regulations, or policies, we may do so. When we remove search results for these reasons, we display a notice on our search results pages. Please note: For some older removals (before March 2005), we may not show a notice at this time.

Previously, the page read:

?Google does not censor results for any search term. The order and content of our results are completely automated; we do not manipulate our search results by hand. We believe strongly in allowing the democracy of the web to determine the inclusion and ranking of sites in our search results. To learn more about Google?s search technology, please visit http://www.google.com/technology/index.html?

Screen caps of the Help Center page with the “old” text are available here or here.

Resources

The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

whitepaper | Analytics The 2023 B2B Superpowers Index

8m
Data Analytics in Marketing

whitepaper | Analytics Data Analytics in Marketing

10m
The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook

whitepaper | Digital Marketing The Third-Party Data Deprecation Playbook

1y
Utilizing Email To Stop Fraud-eCommerce Client Fraud Case Study

whitepaper | Digital Marketing Utilizing Email To Stop Fraud-eCommerce Client Fraud Case Study

1y