View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005   #23
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Well, we disagree

In the days before we had Google, we had search engines updating which often mean having a major size increase. Inktomi would update, Infoseek would do it and so on.

This has all the looks of a major size increase. It's screwing the counts of ton of people. I keep getting emails from people who are wondering why they suddenly have more pages listed. It is a major change going on to the Google index. I don't think anyone will deny that, regardless of what we want to label it.

The rankings may not be changing, but then again we've also had past updates -- real honest to goodness algo shifts -- that have gone largely unnoticed. So is it an update only when people notice ranking shifts? Or an update when something major happens but no one notices? Or when something major happens that doesn't change rankings but still gets noticed?

Whatever the case, whatever is going on IS being noticed by many people. And as I said, that's an update in my books and why I think it's worth warranting and noting it as an update, regardless of Matt saying it's not because it's just new blacklink and PageRank data coming on.

Moreover, that's clearly, clearly not the full story. If Matt had posted -- it's not an update, we've just done the regular backlink and PageRank data export and by the way, we added another 2-4-6-8 billion pages, I think more people might step up to say, "Hmm, feels like that's kind of update territory to me." But he can't say that.

He can't say that because Google is clearly wanting to finish getting its index growth up and out there and probably to coincide with some study it can put out to "prove" that it now really is bigger than Yahoo. So we sit and wait until that's done, people wondering why those counts are going up on Google, but no clear answer on Google other than "it's not an update."

Perhaps we ought to go back to Google Dance terminology. We're not having a dance right now. The results aren't radically shifting around. To have a dance, you have to have an update -- to have an update, you don't necessarily have to dance.