PDA

View Full Version : Will social tagging & bookmarking sites be the new search?

L
01-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Sitting in the SDForum Search SIG talk & trying to wrap my head around this thought...

Will social bookmarking & tagging sites become the new search engines?

Traditional search engines (G,Y,M) have evolved over the years to eventually have extremely complex algorithms that take nothing less than a rocket scientist to figure out. But it didnt always used to be that way. Remember when meta tags were all the rage?

Now social bookmarking & tagging is here and it is still fair to say that it is in its infancy. Searching through these sites is awfully similar to the old search engine & meta tag relationship, with new and different ways of determining popularity through social interactions.

So, what happens when social tagging and bookmarking grows up? Will this become the new search engine? Or is there some melding of traditional search engine and social bookmarking site (where search is becoming more advanced in the future?

seobook
01-25-2006, 04:25 AM
I dont see it being comprehensive enough to scale. even search engines will rely on vertical databases for some stuff.

I think tagging can play an influencing role in search but I don't see it as something that will help me find out if there is a doctor in podunk idaho that can cure acne scars and whatnot

grasshopper
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
i'm with aaron on this one. tagging may mature in such a way that it supplements underlying search technology, but i don't see it replacing search any time soon. scalability is always the factor that favors the engines, given the enormous scope of the corpus an engine has to evaluate and rank.

mcanerin
02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
It strikes me as being way too easy to spam.

Having said that, the sites that are listed right now in my favorites are outstanding.

The issue is, if my favorites became a ranking criteria, I'd probably start treating them differently, ruining the original value. I've argued the same thing has happened to links regarding link rentals.

What we really need is a way to find out what people actually think are great websites, but still allow for the fact that sometimes the best website on something is one you have not visited yet.

A brand new site no one knows about still deserves a chance to rank based on it's own merits. Both link analysis and social tagging ignore this.

Ian

L
02-06-2006, 11:16 AM
The issue is, if my favorites became a ranking criteria, I'd probably start treating them differently, ruining the original value. I've argued the same thing has happened to links regarding link rentals.
good point!

Also agreed that there is a lot of room for spamming tags, bookmarks, links, etc in these types of services. Although there is evident interest in the Digg-type model from the traditional search people. The kinda "real-time", up to the date thing is definitely interesting, as well as the fact that you dont have to have a 10 year old domain to have a good day on Digg.

massa
02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Just an opinion but I think this discussion has validity but we're missing an important point.

To my mind this is kind of like so many of the debates we've all witnessed started by remarks like: " what does it take to get my site on top"?

The answer to these very broad questionsis in clarity. Get your site on top of where for what keyword? Narrow the question down and the answer becomes closer to actually having merit.

The same type of thing with social tagging and bookmarks being the new search. Yes, and no.

I think social tagging is going to be a huge factor, but the missing piece of this statement is

NOT from sources that the engine does not trust.

So, while Ian and I may alter a lot of things in regards to tagging and bookmarking, we bookmark a few of the sites we manage, (sites that we go to about 300% more of our online time than other sites, sites we go to engines and do searches for only to hit the backbutton to our sites when we find them), and what we bookmark starts not counting as much as what your mother bookmarks.