PDA

View Full Version : 300 years to index the world's information

Nacho
10-16-2005, 02:38 AM
In recent news:

http://news.com.com/Google+ETA+300+years+to+index+the+worlds+info/2100-1024_3-5891779.html

Eric Schmidt says it will take 300 years to index the world's information. What's more stunning is this:
Of the approximately 5 million terabytes of information out in the world, only about 170 terabytes have been indexed, he said earlier during his speech.
Wow! I'm speachless.... This affects every person, every industry. No matter if you are an SEO consultant or a business owner, this means lot's of competition to be at the top of search results. You will need a lot more than what is already thought of "very creative SEO" these days.

What are your thoughts?

Chris_D
10-16-2005, 02:48 AM
I suspect that a fair percentage of that 5 million Terrabytes is copyrighted.

I know he said that the 'mathematics' said it would take 300 years to index it all - but I also suspect that sorting out the legal issues as to whether or not those 5 million terrabytes can or should actually be indexed may take even longer..

:)

Nacho
10-16-2005, 02:54 AM
those 5 million terrabytes can or should actually be indexed may take even longer..
Outside of the legal issues. We could also talk about current vs. future crawling capacity. Any thoughts?

Mikkel deMib Svendsen
10-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Lets be honest about this: It's just yet another OR stunt from Google. They get their headlines. Case closed. Move on :)

I would claim the world consist of FAR MORE information than the mentioned 5 million terabytes. In fact, the number is without limit as the information about the information grows at the same rate as the information itself (i.e. Google indexing its own results, as they do now).

Nacho
10-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Good points Mikkel, but to me this thread is not about Google. It's about the information waiting to be indexed what matters.

Mikkel deMib Svendsen
10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Could be, but I also think its about the fact that you can't calculate how long it will take to deal with an infinate ammount of information. So before we have some olid definition of what "information" is and where to set the limits it's all gibberish to me :)

Nacho
10-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Could be, but I also think its about the fact that you can't calculate how long it will take to deal with an infinate ammount of information.
I don't need to calculate it. The actual number doesn't really matter to me. The potential is what's amazing! :)

Robert_Charlton
10-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Wow! I'm speachless.... This affects every person, every industry. No matter if you are an SEO consultant or a business owner, this means lot's of competition to be at the top of search results. You will need a lot more than what is already thought of "very creative SEO" these days.

What are your thoughts?

I think that to view "indexing the world's information" as bringing more commercial competition to the web suggests a limited view of civilization and of what Google is about. I don't think Tolstoy is going to blow my widget site off of page one.

It may be, though, that as society becomes more interested in the other information that becomes accessible, and as information becomes accessible in different ways, searchers may have less time to search for widgets. That might be a great thing.

I think that, among other things, Google is going to be about new ways of associating data. Google Earth is an impressive demonstration of this, for me kind of an historical landmark. It adds to the search box an impressive graphical interface to allow searchers to associate geographical data with demographic and geological data, shopping information, historical information, what have you.

The Library project, I feel, is a noble endevour, and I welcome it. Google Print, Google Scholar, Google News, Google Images, etc, are all directions Google is taking that aren't going to affect widgets very much. Google will also be indexing subscription content and other media... videos, audio material, old recordings, etc.

Additionally, as they develop, more user selected tabs and invisible tabs are also going to pull users away from the main search page, and these could effectively blow you off of page one. Danny has called this area "vertical creep" (http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?t=7326), and I would pay attention to this one....

The "creep" is coming in slowly as the engines increasingly automate the process. Danny feels that at some point, when the engines "flip the switch," people may be surprised at the change.

...It will be on us a lot sooner than 300 years.

Robert_Charlton
10-17-2005, 12:57 AM
PS - And let's not forget about Google's recent deal with NASA to map the solar system. Can Hubble and other astronomical data be far behind? How about biological classifications? Genome data?

Nacho
10-17-2005, 02:35 AM
PS - And let's not forget about Google's recent deal with NASA to map the solar system. Can Hubble and other astronomical data be far behind? How about biological classifications? Genome data?
I hear you well and clear :)

Can we see in our lifetime a search engine that can index information with regards to our human body? even such as our DNA? You know... nano crawl and report viruses and lack of protein or calcium... whatever... can you imagine!

Then where do marketers like us fit? Sure, just get the Pfizer account ... :p