PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favorite search engine?

Jiffy
07-14-2004, 09:08 PM
This is a really really silly question...but we're trying to run some polls at www.thumbshots.org. We're thinking about using the forum on SEW for users to post their opinions!

***** So Which is your favorite Search Engine? ****

Tell us why!? :)

Cheers!
Jiffy

rustybrick
07-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Teoma because of its technology which is explained in the Teoma's Search Technology Summed Up (http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39) thread. :)

seobook
07-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Google, they are branding & marketing gods in me eyes.

wiseMouse
07-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Google and AlltheWeb for size; Google, AlltheWeb (Yahoo), Teoma for relevant results; WiseNut for relevant results if I'm after something from one year ago or later; GigaBlast for not having adverts and the Gigabits.... I like the categories (refine) of Teoma, too, but not the Groups (resources) because I find the latter hardly relevant, saying this, Teoma is slow (bit like GigaBlast).

I also use AlltheWeb for pictures since it's a few clicks faster than Google, but Google often has more... Then I use Scirus for more academic search...

I don't like Ask because of the many sponsored results (I'm one of those who skips sponsored results rightout). Oh, and I like AlltheWeb's colour preferences.

Summa summarum, even now there's no single best search engine, because it all depends on what information I want.

andrewgoodman
07-16-2004, 01:19 AM
My vote is for a search engine called Carolyn. She always helps me find my keys, umbrella, the Paul Newman dressing hidden behind the ketchup... you name it.

massa
07-16-2004, 10:09 AM
excellent answer Andy! Think I'll take a little time to buy my favorite search engine something pretty today.

wiseMouse
07-16-2004, 11:17 AM
My vote is for a search engine called Carolyn. She always helps me find my keys, umbrella, the Paul Newman dressing hidden behind the ketchup... you name it.

:D There's nothing to add!

Jiffy
07-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I agree Andy! What's Carolyn's URL or her phone number!? ;)

"My vote is for a search engine called Carolyn. She always helps me find my keys, umbrella, the Paul Newman dressing hidden behind the ketchup... you name it."

AussieWebmaster
07-16-2004, 01:20 PM
I am partial to SearchFeed... little but great heart and good ROI

andrewgoodman
07-19-2004, 12:49 AM
I agree Andy! What's Carolyn's URL or her phone number!? ;)

"My vote is for a search engine called Carolyn. She always helps me find my keys, umbrella, the Paul Newman dressing hidden behind the ketchup... you name it."

www.shesmylawfullyweddedwife.com

416-HAN-ZOFF

JohnScott
07-31-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm loving Yahoo. Just too easy to get ranked on.

SnowBound
11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
For more years than I care to mention, Yahoo has been the start page for my I.E. browser. Now it is the start page in Mozilla 1.0 that I downloaded this morning.
I like reading the news in the morning over a fresh cup of steaming hot coffee and in the evening a dose of Yahoo goes very well with my Celestial Seasonings, Sugar Plum Spice, Tea. Well this is Alaska and something Hot and Spicy is always welcome. Ho Ho Ho.
Be it stubborn old age, the graying beard and hair or the jolly big belly, some traditions are just best not to be changed.

Yahoo has been very good this year and is on my list of favorite places on the W3.

SnowBound. :)

MikeDammann
08-29-2005, 02:39 AM
I love Google, absolutely do :) AskJeeves would be my 2nd favorite and I don't really know why :D

AussieWebmaster
08-29-2005, 03:13 AM
Good to see this thread revived... be interesting to see if people are still in love with the same engines.
I would have to say Google gets most of my attention right now... but being one for the small engines that try hard I have to also give a nod to Findology at the moment... they are putting a lot into their product and may slowly grab more space.

Gurtie
08-29-2005, 04:06 AM
Teoma is great (except I actually go to Ask and get annoyed by the ads, no idea why I don't just use Teoma but I guess that says something about branding)

I still naturally use Google a lot though. I'm not sure it's my favourite but it's like a Pavlovian response when my brain thinks 'search' my fingers type Google.

Brad
08-29-2005, 06:39 AM
I consistantly use Clusty the most. There are a lot of good search engines again now and Clusty lets me tap into a bunch of them, plus I like the clustered results.

I probably use Ask second most. I like the clean results.

andrewgoodman
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Lately I have also added Clusty to my short list of tools that help me with keyword research & brainstorming.