PDA

View Full Version : Search Firms Fear Client Poaching

doppelganger
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Great article at MediaPost about measures that search engines are taking to grow their PPC advertisers, and the conflicts those efforts cause with Search Engine Marketers.

http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=259130

In the recent past, we've talked to many clients that have been directly approached by Google or Overture, offering essentially the same services... Many time when companies used these "services", we routinely saw them come to us because they don't get the management they need directly from the Googles and Overtures of the world due to resources.

Any other thoughts on this? Examples you've seen?

Has anyone actually had clients stop using your SEM services because of these conflicting services? I'd love to see a poll on this.

Incubator
07-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Very interesting article:

Leave it to Google:
Google is currently testing its new AdWords Automator tool, which automatically generates keywords and ads that link to specific Web pages chosen by advertisers

Now if we were to do that, it would be called spam, generating keyphrases on the fly with little or no density to the overall webpage delivery.
IMHO opinion i do not believe the customer service they are suppling to certain companies they want to target will offer as much education or "hand-holding" that small SEO/SEM companies have to offer in the long run. I seee them offering a lower CRM then most specialized SEM markerters out there\

Cheers

Wc

doppelganger
07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
And that's exactly what I've seen in the past. Google and Overture don't have the staff to do any hand holding with smaller clients. There's a reason you don't get managed care and direct contact with reps unless you're spending X amount of dollars.

Mikkel deMib Svendsen
07-12-2004, 08:15 PM
I am not afraid of the management Overture and Google offer - I've seen what they can do, and the kind of experience the editors there have. Don't worry, the majority of good people in this forum and around SEO/SEM companies can optimize campaigns much better and I am pretty sure the right companies out there is going to recognise the difference.

Also, ask any client some of these questions:

- What goals will the Google editor optimize for? Your goals or his goals? Do you think those two things will always be the same?

- How much optimization will they really do? We usuallay run a lot of ad variations to get the highest CTRs and lowest CPCs - will they do the same? What are the real qualifications of your Google editor?

- We often find that you can be creative with your settings and management in AdWords in ways that will give you better reach, higher CTRs or lower CPCs. One example is to lower you bids to reach you monthly spend limit instead of using the budget function - this often gives lower CPCs, meaning more clicks for the same budget. Do you think Google editors will do this kind of optimization for you?

- Will Google editors be able to learn from the experience you get on Overture and vise versa? Will they be able to gain from the results of organic listings?

What it all comes down to is that we (the SEO and SEM companies) can supply a much better optimization job and give clients a better service than what the engines can. Some will want that, and be willing to pay for it, and some not.