PDA

View Full Version : Does paid search account for new customers?

JCC
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm faced with the question from my managers, "How do your paid search sales numbers compare to the number of orders we would of received if we didn't have paid search?" Since 75% of the search sales we recieved so far were from brand names/company names, they tend to believe that most of those sales would of occurred through natural search, or some other medium, one way or another. My belief is that these paid ads are something that did not exist before, therefore should be given the proper credit for the sale.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been in this situation?

grnidone
03-09-2005, 05:15 PM
You need metrics.

Have you considered using google and overture's ROI tool? That'll give you the numbers right away. Until you have metrics for both paid listings and natural listings, neither you nor your boss have a leg to stand on either way.

Clicktracks is a good metrics tool if you don't already have one.

JCC
03-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Yes, I'm using the conversion counters that Google and Overture provides. That is what is supplying me with my order counts. However, we don't have metrics for organic results. We are working on internal reporting for this, but won't be for awhile. Kind of makes it tough to see if organic sales dipped when paid sales increased....

thanks

cline
03-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Identify the PPC keywords that are generating sales. Research what the natural and PPC rankings are for those keywords. There's a pretty good chance that for most of the keywords the natural rankings are not high. This alone should prove your case for those terms. This will at least narrow your managerial problem to a smaller set of keywords.