PDA

View Full Version : Quantifying Search Marketing Spending

Chris Sherman
12-15-2004, 10:21 AM
How much money is being spent for search marketing in 2004? How much is being spent on specific types of SEM/SEO, including paid placement, paid inclusion and other programs? And who exactly controls the spending--in-house managers or search marketing agencies?

Today's SearchDay article, State of the Search Marketing Industry 2004 (http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3448031) looks at two newly released studies that offer answers to these questions, and other.

Comments welcome!

ephricon
12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting that Chris. I took a quick look and skimmed it a bit and saw mostly industry-wide dollar figures.

Do you know of any surveys or research being done on a campaign level - i.e. estimated number of small businesses with an SEM budget, estimated number of Fortune 500's with an SEM budget, average SEM spending among small businesses, etc. I'd be quite interested in that data as well.

Also, what's everyone's feel in regard to pricing? Will they generally rise? Fall? I've seen the depreciation of website design costs fall in recent years due to a greater availability of other solutions - greater number of designers/design firms, availability of templates, etc.

andrewgoodman
12-17-2004, 01:22 PM
I can only hope that Jupiter will keep watching the space closely and reporting on (in particular) the leading analytics tools and their suitability. It is hard for individual marketers and SEM agencies to evaluate these things on their own, in spite of the fact that they might be able to try a few solutions.

The 'constellation' document is actually a very useful graphic. I might use it to explain the industry to potential clients or agency partners (even though my firm isn't in the constellation yet... I can draw a little dot of highly concentrated SEM power). :)

SEM certainly is attracting more attention than ever. The efforts of analysts to produce real research about the sector can only help practitioners as they attempt to sort out fact from fiction.