PDA

View Full Version : Should Every Webmaster Have a Directory?

randfish
11-04-2004, 04:13 PM
The past 6 months have seen an exponential rise in the number of web directories promoted on SEO boards and opened by SEO players. The trend isn't hard to explain - directories can offer a lot of content, inbound links & a secondary revenue stream in many cases.

I wonder what the opinion of the community is on the rise of small directories.

#1 Is it worth budgeting $500 to submit your site to 50 PR4,5 & 6 directories?

#2 Should we all start directories and actively encourage their growth?

#3 Will the search engines ever actively discount links from directories?

Anthony Parsons
11-04-2004, 06:49 PM

Yes. You'll be lucky to get away with $500 though, more like $1,000 - $4,000 for all the paid directories that exist.

Not unless your going to actively run it, market it and encourage its growth, whilst maintaining its quality. Plenty of directories come and go or are simply left and ignored.

There is already some talk about that with Google, but who really cares as Yahoo, MSN and all the rest still exist and use them.

Incubator
11-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Yes. You'll be lucky to get away with $500 though, more like $1,000 - $4,000 for all the paid directories that exist.

Good point Anthony, would you happen to know a URL or link that points to a list of the current major directories for good inclusion at a cost

Cheers

WC

steve sardell
11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Incubator,

There are many directory lists out there. Below, in no particular order, are three I use. I find Bruce's at WoW to be usually the most frequently updated.

directory list (http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php)

directory list 2 (http://www.directory-pages.com/)

WoW (http://www.wowdirectory.com/resources/)

Incubator
11-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks Steve, much appreciated

Cheers

WC

randfish
11-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Been working on one myself - should have over 200 directories listed by tomorrow - http://www.socengine.com/seo/guide/seo-list-of-directories.php

seobook
11-04-2004, 09:12 PM
The past 6 months have seen an exponential rise in the number of web directories promoted on SEO boards and opened by SEO players. The trend isn't hard to explain - directories can offer a lot of content, inbound links & a secondary revenue stream in many cases.
currently I still think they are at least somewhat effective for boosting search rankings. I think one time fee links provide an extreme value, but eventually as a scaling business years down the road they can be hard to maintain unless you assoicate them with / are helped to build them by some sort of community.

Perhaps focusing on a niche that interests you can make it far easier to make something noteworthy / linkable.

like anthony said...would recomend spending a few thousand.

there will not be that much room for that many directories. IMHO there might be a dozen or few dozen blindingly successful general directories, but most of them do not do that well (based on me seeing how high of a percentage of their submissions are from me I know many of them do not get a ton of submissions).

I think there is lots of room for good niche ones though.

from crappy ones I am sure they are working on trying to do it to some small amount at least...over time they will want to do it more.

keep in mind that people are still selling banners full of links on high pagerank pages so there are lots of problems the search engines are working on.

AussieWebmaster
11-04-2004, 09:17 PM

The other major problem from all these directories is that they start appearing in engines on first pages... forcing the buy in even if they do not hold great PR.

JohnScott
11-11-2004, 06:11 AM
I'm actually happy to see all the new directories about. Helps make link building a lot simpler.

:)

I, Brian
11-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Not all directories will be running strong next year, though. Just like people starting up forums on webmastering - easily done, but very hard to maintain.