PDA

View Full Version : Google's Commanding International Lead

andrewgoodman
06-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Does anyone find the latest numbers from comScore Networks surprising?

In "share of searches" for April 2004 amongst Google, Yahoo, and MSN, the numbers for France, UK, and Canada are:

Canada: Google 70, Yahoo 17, MSN 13
UK: Google 77, Yahoo 14, MSN 9
France: Google 80, Yahoo 10, MSN 10

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040610/cgth025_1.html

In light of this, U.S. data showing Yahoo a close second are anomalous and frankly suspect. As in, "what counts as a 'search'"?

Obviously, until MSN rolls out its long-promised new search product, users are staying away. But the question is, will the much-touted new MSN technology really bring them back? When?

Anthony Parsons
06-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Nothing surprising to me...

Dodger
06-15-2004, 12:21 AM
You have to take into account how they were surveying.

comScore Networks provides unparalleled insight into consumer behavior and attitudes. This capability is based on a massive, global cross-section of more than 1.5 million consumers who have given comScore explicit permission to confidentially capture their browsing and transaction behavior, including online and offline purchasing. comScore panelists also participate in survey research that captures and integrates their attitudes and intentions. Through its patent-pending technology comScore measures what matters across a broad spectrum of behavior and attitudes.

I also noticed on their website that they have one of those site counters, and that is probably how they are getting their data. I would put this type of tracking up there with the Alexa Toolbar.

The really interesting part of that article though is was the table regarding Penetration and Reach. It reflected a large proportion of the tracked users touching upon MSN or one of their properties in reach (96% in Canada), but they were bailing out to Google in the end. Also -- I do believe that Sympatico in Canada is basicly mirroring MSN now in Canada, which probably explains the large reach. I think this figure is more damning than the search totals overall, people are bailing in droves -- not a good sign.

Even though the figures may be slanted to some extent, probably leaning toward the technical people using the counters I would imagine ... it still is such a large disproportionate number when you get down to it.