PDA

View Full Version : Will emails ads be bigger than search ads?

MUSCLE13
09-27-2004, 10:11 PM
This blew me away

From Search Engine Lowdown -

Why Google Needs Gmail
The NY Post takes another look at Google email service, Gmail. Why did Google launch an email service? It could be their most important distribution channel for AdWords.

In fact, analysts predict Google will have greater earnings from Gmail ads than from its search engine ads since they are more direct and concentrated.

http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/

seobook
09-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I notice that the ads are often rather relevant but have only ever clicked maybe 2 - 3 and do like a couple hours of email each day.

rustybrick
09-27-2004, 10:50 PM
There are ads in Gmail? :confused: :D

MUSCLE13
09-28-2004, 09:33 AM
When you really think about it, what is the #1 activity on the internet? Search is second. Email is #1. If Google successfully delivers contextually relevant ads on Gmail that people start to click on, think of what this means for the internet ad industry? It would certainly spread to all email providers eventually. It could be a HUGE factor in the growth of internet advertising. Gotta hand it to those guys at Google. Targeting email is brilliant.

MUSCLE13
09-28-2004, 09:34 AM
There are ads in Gmail? :confused: :D

Funny Rusty!

rustybrick
09-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I am not sure if it is brilliant. Yahoo, Hotmail and many other Web based email clients have been placing ads on emails, just not contextual based ads. Why? Not because they can not do it, but because they didn't want to get into the mess Google got themselves into with all the privacy people.

Even client based email programs place ads at the bottom. I know Eudora does and I hate getting emails from people who use the free version of Eudora. The ads often get picked up by my spam filter and do not end up in my in box.

Brilliant? I am not too sure. Smart? If they can pull this off, then many will follow the contextual ad approach in email, not just Google.

MUSCLE13
09-28-2004, 09:56 AM
I think the targeting is the key here. Its what makes search ads work. Email ads will never reach their full potential (which is obviously huge) until they are targeted to the context of the email the way Google has done. Personally I believe the privacy concerns are already starting to blow over. I remember there was a faction against search ads at the beginning too. Where are they now? I applaud Google for their innovation.

andrewgoodman
09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
The brilliant part could be that Google is threading conversations. The semantic technology seems to improve the targeting as the conversation goes on. Then again, we should keep in mind that there is no such thing as perfect targeting. Broad and narrow targeting are both something that advertisers want, and both can generate revenues for publishers.

Ad revenue from listings near web-based email messages is bound to be strong if it follows the same principle as PPC listings near search listings followed: don't wreck the user experience and people will continue to accept its presence.

I find it fun that I get ads about scotch and libertarianism in unrelated email conversations, and ads for Democratic Party fundraising in emails to myself. Not relevant, but fun. In the nonpaid 'related links' part, I keep getting pages from competitors' websites. Fun!!!! :eek:

seobook
09-28-2004, 08:51 PM
The brilliant part could be that Google is threading conversations.
it is usually cool, but occasionally it sucks...like today for no good reason it crossed threads between me and a friend and me and a person asking me to help them lower the rankings of people bashing their site...dissimilar topics, days apart, different emails, from different countries...I do not see why they were cross threaded

I emailed a request to create a feature that allows us to pull a post out of a thread. google may consider that idea similar to their stance on allowing paid inclusion...just a way to allow their technology to be less good and lazy...hopefully not though...it would be a good feature

bradbwh
09-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure brilliance should be measured by addressable traffic. Isn't the brilliance of search advertising the match-up between sellers and buyers at the moment when buyers are looking for something? People reading e-mail are not in the same commercial mood as searchers. I remain dubious of Gmail's revenue possibility in its current presentation.

andrewgoodman
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
it is usually cool, but occasionally it sucks...like today for no good reason it crossed threads between me and a friend and me and a person asking me to help them lower the rankings of people bashing their site...dissimilar topics, days apart, different emails, from different countries...I do not see why they were cross threaded

I emailed a request to create a feature that allows us to pull a post out of a thread. google may consider that idea similar to their stance on allowing paid inclusion...just a way to allow their technology to be less good and lazy...hopefully not though...it would be a good feature

Agreed, it's spotty right now. I actually had to have my associate reprogram our RFQ form as Google was counting every single one as part of a single conversation (if we got more than one RFQ in a day). Of course this revamp was a good thing in the end.

andrewgoodman
09-29-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure brilliance should be measured by addressable traffic. Isn't the brilliance of search advertising the match-up between sellers and buyers at the moment when buyers are looking for something? People reading e-mail are not in the same commercial mood as searchers. I remain dubious of Gmail's revenue possibility in its current presentation.

In my opinion, email marketing works better than most "content targeting," but not as well as search. I have seen reports back on "bundle" buys mostly of crappy inventory on Yahoo or MSN, and the only stuff that converted was from Yahoo Mail or Hotmail. People reading email, especially of a B2B nature, may be at *some* point in the buying cycle whereby they would at least click on a sponsored link to investigate a potential solution. They don't have to buy right away. (Same as any other advertising. There are sales cycles, and it's a numbers game. You can reinforce your presence by showing up in multiple channels.)