PDA

View Full Version : SES Wrap Up: Portrait of an Industry Under Tremendous Strain

garyp
08-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Show Wrap-Up Report for Search Engine Strategies: Portrait of an Industry Under Tremendous Strain
Source: Marketing Sherpa
http://www.marketingsherpa.com/sample.cfm?contentID=2784

A 2400 word report about the SES show.

As we learned at the Search Engine Strategies convention attended by several thousand marketers and vendors in San Jose last week, the industry is definitely feeling the strain in three ways:

+ Increased competition
+ Watch out for Microsoft
+ Money madness

Joseph Morin
08-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Interesting article and right on the money. Our little 'cottage industry' is now big leagues, I remember thinking that as I saw the entrance to McEnery Convention Center and the words "Search Engine Strategies" in a 2,000 pt. font!

We are definately going through some growing pains and I'm sure the future will hold shakeouts and consolidations and at a much more rapid pace.

St0n3y
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I think there have been a few shakeouts over the years, where those that can't run a business effectively jump out or those that don't really enjoy SEO change their focus. More in the industry just means a bigger shakeout.

Incubator
08-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Great post, guys!

"2004 is swimming with VC sharks," noted Noel McMichael President MarketLeap. "Venture capitalists keep calling me all the time. They're looking to invest serious money. They don't know me, or the industry, but they sure thought they could help, and all they wanted in return was 75% of my business."

Very Interesting, send those sharks up to Canada, so that the investors here start to take the SEM business seriously!

cheers

wC